How to File a Claim
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Homeowners Insurance Claims Process Explained and other Home Insurance topics.
How do I file a claim?
Homeowners insurance is one of those items you purchase hoping never to use. Should you need to file a claim, follow these simple steps:
- Call Your Agent. The very first step is to contact your agent as soon as possible. Time is of the essence when it comes to filing some claims, so begin as early as possible.
- Collect Important Information. Hopefully, you have already established a file containing all the contact information and copies of important data needed to substantiate the loss. If not, begin searching for receipts, photographs or any other information that can help show the condition of the property before the loss.
- Take Photographs. If you are able, take photographs of the damage. Be very careful not to disturb or further damage the property in any way before the adjuster arrives.
- Secure the Location. Depending upon the type of damage, it may be necessary to shut down the electric, turn off water or move furniture and non-damaged items to prevent further loss from taking place. Remember, safety comes first! Once the area is safe and secure ask your agent what other actions can be taken to reduce further damage from taking place without impeding the claim process.
- Keep Copies. Ask for copies of all repairs, notes and other information related to the claim to keep for your own records. Document phone calls and other correspondence to help in the event of a problem.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.