The High Cost of Cheap Homeowners Insurance
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Shopping for Homeowners Insurance and other Home Insurance topics.
What are the downfalls to cheap homeowners insurance?
Most people consider buying insurance little more than a necessary evil, but there is often a high cost associated with the purchase of cheap homeowners insurance. Learn how to save money while still getting the right coverage by avoiding these common pitfalls:
- Fly-by-Night Companies. Work with a reputable insurance provider with a good rating of at least a B or above. Avoid companies with a rating below B, but don't assume a more recognized name is automatically better. Many small insurance companies have great financials, so take the time to compare by contacting the insurance rating firms below:
- A.M. Best Company (908) 439-2200
- Fitch Inc. (800) 753-4824
- Moody's Investor Service (212) 553-0377
- Standard & Poor's (212) 438-2000
- Insufficient Assistance. While every insurance company provides some level of assistance, service can be inconsistent or simply inconvenient when working with some low-cost providers. Check the satisfaction rating of the company prior to making a final decision to determine if they provide adequate assistance and timely response in the event of a claim.
- Inability to Provide Higher Risk Coverage. Many homeowners enjoy the convenience of having all policies in one place, which isn't always possible with some providers. If you have high-risk properties, rental real estate or other hard-to-cover needs, be sure to ask in advance whether or not they are able and willing to write different types of policies.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.