December 18, 2009, Newsletter Issue #34: Using Insured Contractors

Tip of the Week

Whenever you do any renovations or remodeling in your home or surrounding property, make sure that the contractor you choose is insured. The insurance should cover both damages to your property and liability should they or their workers be injured while working in your home. If the contractor uses sub-contractors, make sure that they are insured as well. Obtain all documentation before allowing them to start work on your home so there are unfortunate surprises later.

Doing this will protect you from having to file a claim under your policy and potentially increasing your homeowner’s insurance cost. You don’t want to have to pay a deductible or run the risk of your rates increasing because of claims that could have been avoided.

Ask for a copy of documentation showing the workers are covered under their own policy. Should any damages or personal injury occur, contact your policy provider immediately and give them the documentation to avoid any problems or confusion.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Home Insurance Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Sheri Ann Richerson